Friday, November 11, 2011

Um…excuse me…why is your forehead bleeding? October 4, 2011

That’s an excellent question…not it’s not from some sick ritual or evil pimple, just your garden variety acupuncture treatment.  Today was my first treatment and I’m already in love.  I have the best acupuncturist.  She’s so sweet and understanding, but also gets right down to business, which is totally my style.  Today we did some general meridian work in addition to trying to help my infertility issues.  She also helped me get rid of some lingering side effects from a wicked migraine the day before-hence my bleeding forehead.  My acupuncturist and I have a plan for a few different types of treatments not only for infertility, but also for my joint disorder.  I have Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS).  EDS is a genetic, connective tissue disorder that oftentimes can skip a generation.  Guess who it landed on?  Yea me!  There are various forms of EDS, I happen to have the hyper mobility kind, which means that I’m extra bendy.  This can be good and even fun in the right situation, but also quite painful most of the time.  Because my muscles have to work extra hard to keep my ligaments and joints in place, I am always battling with severe muscle tension.  Since I’ve been trying to get pregnant I haven’t been able to take any muscle relaxants for about three years now.  The yoga and Pilates both help and bother me at the same time.  It’s nice to get some good stretching in and core work is never a bad thing, but there are certain moves or positions that require extra effort and strength because I can go too far into the poses.

No comments:

Post a Comment